EKT Riding School was established at Ekeberg in Oslo in 1954. As one of Norway's largest riding schools since the 60 century, thousands of riders have started their careers with us, both professionals and amateurs. EKT is one of Norway's largest arenas for equestrian and equine recruitment. EKT currently has about 400 riding students per year. week.
EKT works continuously to maintain a high level of teaching. Based on experience from daily riding school operations on a large scale since 1964 we have our own educational program for teaching. The school's main riding teachers have approved education from Starum or equivalent approved riding instructor training.
- How is riding on EKT?
- balance Training
- Necklace and leash
- The crotch - the forgotten gait
- horse material
How is riding on EKT?
Indoor riding course takes place in our bright, beautiful riding hall at 20 × 60 meters with Walber bottom. In the summer we can also use outdoor rides. The courses have some horseback riding in the Ekeberg Forest when the students can master this. All courses contain 2-3 hours of theory lessons per week. term. The courses are broken down by skill and age of the students. The number of students will be about 12 per year. hour. Pupils learn everything from basic exercises on beginner courses to more demanding exercises on practice and advanced courses.
- As a beginner, you get a combination of theory and riding in practice. At the beginner course, the students have fixed horses at the start of the course so that everyone can feel safe and become familiar with their horse.
- As the riders become more experienced, the horses will roll between the students on the course. That way it will be the most fair and the rider will learn to ride different types of horses.
- Pupils are moved to the next skill level when they are ready for it. The instructor will evaluate each student when transitioning to a new semester, or as needed.
The riding school places great emphasis on balance training because balance is the basis for all riding. All beginner courses begin with bareback riding (riding without a saddle) the first semester. The student has a neck ring to support.
Regardless of the level, all students without a saddle ride 2-3 times during the semester. Regardless of the level, the riding lesson includes a balance exercise focusing on the rider's sitting and riding position.
The riding school at EKT Riding School deliberately focusses on the importance of the right seat for riding skills. These principles are taught at all courses and levels at ECT. The rider is asked to put down the bridle and remove the legs from the stirrups to feel the body's response to the horse's movements without having support through hands and feet. Simple balance exercises that the arms out to the side are performed. Riding school horses are trained to walk on track and are guided by the instructor's voice during balance training so that the rider can focus on his own balance and seat.
One never gets too good or too trained to focus on the seat and balance. For example, the riders at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna can be cited. Before being appointed professional riders and riders, they must undergo many hours of sitting training in the longe. Even the most experienced riders ride without stirrups every day to concentrate fully on the seat and balance of the horseback.
Necklace and leash
A horse under a rider receives signals in three different main ways; weight, ankles (rider's legs) and bridle. These helpers need to be trained properly and eventually make an unconscious interaction. It is especially this coordination that is demanding, especially in young children.
In smaller children, the body and ability to coordinate and concentrate are not fully developed. It is EKT's task and challenge to adapt the teaching to the children's age and skill level.
As part of a gradual practice of the interaction between all three helpers, EKT starts riding lessons for children and beginners by eliminating the helpers that can be completely removed. This is the bridle. As a substitute a neck ring is used. At the beginner's courses, the rider must bring a renter who will lead the horse in a leash.
The student can now concentrate on exercising strength and balance by controlling the horse only by using weight and jaws (thighs and calves). Remember that this interaction should be practiced in all three gaits; step, trot and canter. This takes time. As the skills are practiced, they must be maintained equally with training and again training.
The pedagogical program includes fall training from horses, without a safety vest. The riding instructor will instruct the riders to fall off the horse in a controlled manner. The horse walks in quiet dirt or stands still. The rider learns to fall on the side, with arms and legs gathered and rolling away from the horse. This experience will give all students training in automating reactions should one be unlucky to fall off or be thrown by a horse once.
Safety vest can be used during jump hours and turret riding. Students at EKT Riding School will learn how to sit properly, feel and feel the horse's movements. The safety vest will, in dressage riding on the track, inhibit the body's movements and the contact with its own body will be disturbed by a stiffened vest.
The crotch - the forgotten gait
The horse is originally a steppe animal. There it went and ate, crotch, ate. Occasionally the puffy horses in the flock to move to find new grass, herbs and more. Lunting is a light, quiet trot in a relaxed state. The canter was performed by escape from hazards.
The horse has four beats in stride, a demanding gait to perform at the right pace and rhythm. Steps in horseback riding are underestimated. Exercises in steps such as volts, twists, corner passes will give the horse a training and detachment that is invaluable. This is the basis for exercises in other gaits founded.
Transitions to holding are an important exercise to get a horse into a collection. Transitions to the hold give the horse a natural opportunity to work from behind and put the hind legs underneath. Thus, back muscles are activated and the horse can better carry both the rider and himself. All steps are done against a fine, soft, proportionate and indulgent hand.
The riding school has a large selection of ponies and horses adapted to the different courses and offers the riding school offers. We have safe and relatively well-educated riding horses of different breeds (Welsh Mountain, Connemara, New Forest, Shetland pony, Exmoor pony, Fjording, Norwegian hide) and many mixed breeds bred to be good riding horses
We primarily have a horse material adapted for children and young people, but we also have a few hours / horses adapted for adults and more experienced riders.
(page constantly updated)
Security and responsibility
We encourage everyone to read through the points below.
Safety while riding
- Riding helmet of approved brand is required.
- Safety vest is not mandatory in dressage riding at EKT.
- Beginners and insecure riders can use neck ring as support as well as bridle.
- The beginner courses will have lessons on the stable for the first 1 – 2 hours in handling horses and equipment before riding lessons begin.
- If needed, the student may have a person hire the horse during the riding lesson.
- Follow the riding instructor and the stable staff's instructions for guiding the horse in and out of the riding track.
- Keys and cell phones must not be worn on the body while riding.
- Keep the prescribed distance (minimum one horse length) to the horse in front of you and to the side.
- The horse should always be rented on the renter's right side.
Security on site
- Riding houses and stables have large and wide hallways, doors and water ports for safe travel.
- Light and functional riding house with high sloping walls towards the track.
- The ride bottom is that high quality; Walber bottom - silicate sand mixed with felt and fiber.
- Carpets with blanket and first aid equipment are located just inside the double door into the riding house.
- The stables staff carry cordless phones with quick access to remote assistance.
- Easily accessible wardrobe with benches.
- Private room in 2. etc. is specially furnished as a rest room.
- The stables staff are trained in first aid.
- All riding and handling of animals is at your own risk.
- The riding school is not responsible for injuries that students and visitors have to incur or accidents that happen within the riding school's teaching area. That is, all riding carried out by EKT on EKT's horses, be it indoors or outdoors in Ekebergparken.
- The riding school is not responsible for the pupils' money, personal effects or valuables.
- EKT Rideskole has liability insurance for its activities through IF Skadeforsikring. It is up to the individual student to take out private accident insurance.